Sunday, January 13, 2008

How to Legally Change a Name in Alabama


Name Change Forms can be downloaded from the site below on the internet:
Cut and paste in the url (website name below starting with http and ending in htm.)


Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You'll Need

  • Bond Paper
  • Computer and printer
  • Envelopes
  • Stamps
  • Pens



Step One

Click to enlarge

Picture of name change form kit.

Not matter why you request a name change, you have to notify the appropriate agencies and take other steps to make the name change legal. This also applies to individuals who change their name as the result of marriage.

Step Two

You can do the paper work yourself. This site sells you a do-it-yourself package. For example they have a kit for minors (younsters) to change names perhaps for adoption or other reasons. Here is an example of their guarantee.
This is a Name Change Package for a minor living in Jefferson County Alabama. This package contains (1) State Specific Information on Change of Name, (2) Steps to Change your Name, (3) Forms Required and (4) Access to State Specific Law Summary. Your Satisfaction is Guaranteed or Your Money Back!

Step Three

This is another pacakge for people of marital age:
This Name Change Notification Package - Brides, Court Order Name Change, Divorced, Marriage form is an extensive package containing forms and instructions for notifying government agencies and others of a name change. Forms and instructions included for Passport, Social Security Card, Voter Registration, Employer, Banks and other Financial Institutions, Clubs and Organizations, Drivers License, Post Office, Insurance Companies, IRS, State Tax Commission, etc. It also contains forms for changing contracts, wills and other legal documents.

Step Four

Using these packages is probably less expensive than hiring an attorney.

Step Five

Here are some tips for brides for registering your name change with appropriate agencies after you get married. This is not a kit and there are no fees. They are important to keep in mind. Step one is to request several certified copies of your marriage license; you'll need to present it as proof for your name change. Next, change your records at Mobile's Social Security Office, (251) 432-2002, 550 Government Street, Suite 100, open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (or visit the Social Security Administration online at Next stop is the Department of Motor Vehicles. Unfortunately, this has to be done in person, so call the Alabama Department of Public Safety, (334) 242-4400, for more information and to find the office nearest you. After these two official changes are made, the rest can usually be done by telephone. Your name should be changed on your financial records, your payroll records, voter registration, utility accounts, automobile registration, passport ... and don't forget to update those magazine subscriptions!

No comments: