Sunday, January 13, 2008

How to serve a complaint


Serve a Complaint


Difficulty: Easy

Things You'll Need

  • Now the exact rules for your type of case



Step One

Once you file your complaint or petition with the court, you must have a copy of it delivered to the other party in the manner required by the rules. You must also deliver a summons or citation, which you can get from the clerk-magistrate, register or recorder of the court. This is called "service of process" and is a crucial part of your case. There are several ways to do this. You must learn what rules apply to your case and then follow them.

Step Two

After you have served the other party, you will need to file proof with the court that you have done so. This is referred to as "return of service." Your local sheriff's or constable's office may be able to provide helpful information about how to serve your complaint or petition and summons.

Step Three

Keep proof of your service..

No comments: