Sunday, January 13, 2008

How to modify your child support order


modify your child support


Difficulty: Easy

Things You'll Need

  • proof of pay/income
  • paystubs copy of tax returns



Step One

Only the court can change the amount of your child support order and it will use theChild Support Guidelines in determining the amount of the order. The Guidelines consider several factors including both parents' income and ability to earn income, the number and ages of the children, and the cost of health care coverage for the children. To get an estimate of the amount of money a court may order for child support based on your current financial condition and using the Guidelines, please use your local states Child Support Calculation Worksheet.

Step Two

Whether you are the parent who pays support or the parent who receives support, if you want help in going to court to ask for a modification, you may seek it through your states child support enforcement division. You will need to complete a Modification form, available at your court or maybe online.

Step Three

Once we get your complaint, you or child support enforcement need to file it with the court, give a copy to the other parent, and schedule a court hearing. This process can take time. The court will require some sort of evidence (documentation or testimony) about a parent's ability to pay. You must make sure the state you file the modification in has the authoity to do so.

No comments: